Re: [at-l] hiking partners? -- First Aid Training

Hi Ben,

I saw your post re: hiking solo and I note that you mention first aid
training as a way to fortify your confidence in hiking solo.  Not a bad
strategy for anyone contemplating a hike, solo or otherwise.  Good for you!
Heres' my 2 cents.....

CPR Pro will be of limited use to you on the Trail.  (If you have to do any
basic life support: airway, breathing, circulation -- on the Trail, the
chances for survival are gonna be pretty small.  You carrying a
defibrillator?  OK, maybe for some breathing emergencies, there's a better
chance, but still pretty remote.)  (Furthermore, unless you're talking
choking, the skills in the CPR course will do you *no* good for a solo hike
--- 'can't be doing rescue breathing or CPR on yourself, now can you?  ;-)
The FA skills, on the other hand.... :-)

Just a suggestion.  You're obviously talking Red Cross training.  Consider
taking the Responding to Emergencies course.  Ask if they'll be including the
When Help is Delayed module  - you'll want that part, especially.  This
training will increase your confidence in knowing how to deal with
emergencies, since it has you practising scenarios much more than the SFA or
CFA courses.  Most chapters offer the RTE course for Camp Health Officers -
which includes CPRO and WHID.  Are you in NYC?  If so, it'll be pretty easy
to find such a program at the Red Cross.  I can't say for certain that other
chapters will be offering it as readily, but it's definitely worth a try.
You can buy the When Help is Delayed text, even if you can't manage the
course, itself.  It's a really great little item.

May I ask, where do you live?  (Email me privately; I may be able to make a
suggestion for finding the program in your area.)

Another option is to take a Wilderness First Aid (WFA) course or, even
better, a Wilderness First Responder (WFR) course.  These are not Red Cross,
but are often sponsored by Outdoor Gear shops (like Eastern Mountain Sports)
or hiking clubs.  (The NY/NJ Trail Conference often sponsors the program.)
SOLO and Wilderness Medical Associates (headed by Buck Tilton) offer these
programs.  I think they're both out of New Hampshire, but they send
instructors around the country to teach the courses to groups.  They are
wonderful training opportunities.

Trailmixup