RE: [at-l] Calendar triple crown

This is one of the best questions posted on this list this year. (Wish I had a Top Ten Posts list...) I hope someone with some time grabs hold of it and thrashes it around, knocks the stuffing out of it, and lays it all bare so the rest of us can read along. I would (and you know that, don't you...), but I'm kind of rushed for time this week. Come on, somebody. Step up, give us an essay. This IS what it's all about. Show us where you're at.

>>> "Robinson, Brian A" <brian.robinson@compaq.com> 04/12/00 08:11PM >>>
There's no question that slackpacking and skipping around would increase the
chances of completing the triple.  However, I feel that since most
thru-hikers do continuous journeys it would be "cheating" to skip around.
(Call me a purist, but I also feel the same way about slackpacking.)

But I'm interested what others think.  Would it be acceptable to "claim" the
triple having skipped around?

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: TOKTAADN@aol.com [mailto:TOKTAADN@aol.com]

I'm assuming you will take every opportunity to slackpack, hopefully most of

the way.

I think it would be best to start at Springer and hike to just short of the
Whites. Then, depending on weather conditions, head for various benign --
relatively speaking -- sections of the CDT and PCT.  Rack up as many miles
that way until weather allows you to start a southbound CDT hike to finish
that trail, then go back and finish the AT, and head out west for a
southbound PCT hike.