[at-l] AT report...

Saturday was COLD, but we holed up in Helen.  Found an excellent
restaurant - the Farmers Market Café - a block off of the main drag on
Chattahoochee Street - Homestyle suppers - real nice breakfast buffet (with
country ham - yum, yum, yum)...

Sunday was a short hike from Unicoi Gap to Tray Gap in magnificent weather.
Coosa, with a friend in tow named Roxie, arrived near supper time with a
LARGE pot of chili and (of course) cookies.  I added salad and sodas.  A few
stray thru-hikers stopped by at just the right time.  One hiker had sensory
deprivation that shut him down totally.  He froze up solid at the sight of
all of the goodies.  We coaxed him along by suggesting that he should first
find his bowl, then he should fill it with something to eat - well, he
finally snapped out of his euphoric state, and loaded up with chili...

Coosa, as she has posted, is coming under the scrutiny of the Forest
Service.  She was already under the scrutiny of the GATC.  Trail Angels with
hearts of gold are the bane of our society, and should be stopped at all
costs!  We should be thankful that our precious tax dollars are being used
in an effort to silence this damnable do-gooder!!!  The cry of "Here, have a
cookie" needs to be stifled!

I have met, and come to like, a thru-hiker named PAPA JOHN (John Kennedy).
He has a journal at TRAILPLACE.  You may remember him as the person that
"trolled" us after he added all of the forbidden names to his journal intro
page.  He wanted us to know that his journal had not been banished (he may
be looking for another place to put his journal soon, since my name will
soon be mentioned prominently).  John had started on his hike in late
February and had to get off.  He then got back on, then he got off again.
He started all over again from Springer on April 2, and is now in Hiawassee.
He has contracted Bronchitis and will be resting up for a few days.  He is
very determined to continue, and to be successful...

The weather has been wonderful through today (Tuesday), but rain is in the
forecast for the next 3 or 4 days.  This may not be so bad, since the temps
should cooperate...

The fellow that shuttles hikers, then tells them it will cost $5, is again
doing his thing at Dicks Creek Gap.  We got into a shouting match today.  I
made sure that he went home without any money today.  Baltimore Jack had
told me of his encounter last year with this fellow.  Seems that he told
Jack, at the end of the shuttle, that he wanted $5.  Jack indicated that
this should have been stated up front.  The shuttler told Jack to pay up or
loose his gear.  Well, ladies and gentlemen, Jack did not loose his gear and
the shuttler did not get his money...

Loads of people are dropping off of the trail, with the bitter cold weather
of last week driving many away.  I have taken two hikers off - one with
hypothermia - one with a twisted up knee.  I have met some wonderful
characters this year.  Two fellows from New Orleans are standouts, Doc and
Wildbill.  They just brighten a day when they are around.  I met a
southbounder named Panama Red, and his dog Elvis.  I think they had been
sighted by a lister or two previously.  They started Southbound last May,
and are almost finished.  Panama says that he is going to yoyo to Trail
Days...

pittsburgh