[at-l] OB Trip report 4 Smokies to Newfound Gap (3/30 -4/2)

3/30. I began leisurely, awakening about 7AM in a bed, opened the
restaurant at 7:30 and ate more eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy, bacon,
fruit, juice, and coffee than I care to remember. I ate a quarter of a
pineapple as it was cut for the buffet. I finally got change and found left
over detergent in the laundromat. The post office had my mail drop, and
would not take the pound can of fuel to return home. I watched news and
weather - glad I was going into the Smokies than to downtown Ft Worth! The
weather was to clear today and be great through the weekend.

I even found a bit of trail shop in the old Fontana Lodge and community
hall. I bought the thickest pair of socks available - Brookstone (?) -
green Coolmax things. I made a few purchases at the store. They had no
string cheese, complained that other hikers bought all the Snickers, no
reading glasses, but had ice cream, cheese, Hershey bars, and other poor
substitutes. I called Liz and left the message I was on the way. David
seemed glad to hear of my decision, and the next we would see of each other
would be 4/2 at Newfound Gap about noon, but he might go do magic earlier.

Bills paid and shuttle found me as I mailed away my PUR Hiker, headlamp,
GA/NC maps and books, and disposable cameras. I decided to go a bit severe
as I had to carry that damned fuel can.

I went to the dam for photos and visited the Hilton for "purity" & a note
in the register. For the non-hikers reading, the Hilton is not a comparison
of a bad shelter to the Hanoi Hilton. It holds over 20 hikers in dry
comfort with showers and privies abounding. Books, large peanut butter jars
and other flotsam and jetsam showed hikers who reconsidered their pack
weights before tackling the big climb.

I failed to keep the name of the grey-bearded Ranger who declared me a
thru-hiker - with permission to stay in any shelter or to camp! He compared
stories of my crazy lady who had spent the night Tuesday in the visitor
center bathroom, left underwear scattered about her car, and was extremely
bizarre. Subsequent hikers caught up to me and shared equally strange
stories of silences, talking to herself, crunching rice cakes in sleeper's
ears, and such.

I began across the dam and caught up to Julie as a pickup truck attempted
to lure her away from the path. Julie is a 27-ish teacher who started 3/19
(that's 11 days earlier). She told me of work in Eastern Europe, hiking in
Argentina, and decision to send rain pants home and to change to hiking in
Tevas. She had been a bit tired and had stayed at the Hilton, hit the
Village briefly, and planned a leisurely 5 miles pace to Birch Gap Shelter.
It was clear that she could have run up and back a few times, but stayed
close as we talked and visited, even passing Pick once again.

We went up Shuckstack Tower for great views and photos - even one my
daughter liked. I advised her to carry packs up toward Shuckstack -
remembering my friend Ray's misadventure with a bear stealing three back
packs. We checked out the old well (empty except for trash) and finished
the climb to the shelter. She was impressed over how I unpackage all my
food (even left herring cans at Fontana for the night's noodles). She
claimed to carry no dry clothes, simply stopped and started cooking and set
up a bivy near the horse area (soft and level ground). It was entertaining
to hear her parry the lines of a young blond 20 year old man, also with
intriguing stories of his past illnesses and luck. He walked with a
Physical Therapist, a very patient and organized lady in every sense.

As i went to bed, I wondered about the first 5 mile climb and the future of
31 miles over the next 2.5 days with many climbs ahead.

Friday 3/31/00

I arose at 6AM, repaired the "divots" of several non-LNT hikers. Toilet
paper littered a large area of the septic zone. I had a leisurely tea and
oatmeal breakfast, and watched the little fuel bottle flame out - empty.
Thank you Post Office for making me keep the fuel can! Julie arose about
6:15, saw the thin crescent moon, stashed her bivy and was off by 6:45 AM
for Derrick Knob Shelter, only 16 miles away. By all reports she flew up
the trail, perhaps at a 3 mile an hour pace and was never seen again - only
admired from a distance.

By 7:15 I was off on my earliest start and did very well with 2 miles an
hour, and almost had "5 by 10" (5 miles by 10am). I lollygagged at Spence
Field Shelter for water and a few photos. and began the 6-7 mile final walk
to Derrick Knob Shelter about 2PM. I had no clue what the climbs would be like.

Rockytop, Thunderhead and other peaks were huge climbs with huge views. I
took pictures like a Japanese tourist. I kept tripping over my jaw over the
NC view, Cade's Cove and the hills. The walk seemed much further than I
expected. I saw a bald big man with earphones and radio blasting - heading
toward me (SB we will call him)

OB: Southerbounder! How far to Derrick?
SB: At least 2 miles, but I'm heading North, all the way to Maine!
OB: Have you checked direction? The sun is setting ahead of you - the is an
east-west trail here.
SB: (Gets out a cute electronic compass - points North & announces the NW
direction he is on will go directly to Maine). No you are the one who is
lost. I don't need a map here. I'm on my way. I stayed with you last night.
What would you know?

I sat in the trail, checked out the map with an old fashioned compass, and
kept walking as darkness loomed. Three miles later, I find Derrick at 6:15.
No one knew the SB dude for sure, and no one cared to go check for him.

Derrick Knob is a great place. I camped, sat around the fire and met Mark
the Ridgerunner. Mark is planning section hikes of the PCT (Pacific Coast
Trail), and is paid to live in an old resort and hike the Smokies every
other week. He suggested a shorter day tomorrow to Double Springs as I
finished up Sunday. I agreed. We also wondered how daylight savings time
would affect hikers - particularly Ridgerunners who would now have an extra
hour of hiking time.

Saturday 4/1/00

I hiked a short day on paper from Derrick Knob to Double Springs Shelter. I
found the climbs slow and hard. I visited with maintainers, repeating a
message that Mark's radio was out although he was okay. I shared a bit in
replacing a privy over a new hole at Double Springs. Apparently the old
hole had been filled, buried, and the privy turned on its side until more
repairs could be completed. Some hikers up-righted it, using it directly on
the ground - far worse than toilet paper on the field. This rocky soil is
harder to dig than to climb. The Tennesse spring is in the direct path of
the old "night soil," and should bear caution.

I hung my pack and carried my fanny pack up to Clingman's Dome for pictures
and the last day of clear weather (news from the maintainers). I did not
feel up to 3+ miles to Clingmans _and_ another 4+ miles (downhill) to Mt
Collins Shelter. It took me 1.5 hours each way. The news of the pending
severe weather suggests I made a mistake. I did not see David, but know a
few hikers who should relay my location if he stayed at Mt Collins. If the
weather is really bad, I hope to bail out at the Clingman Dome parking lot.

I made no April Fool's jokes (except in the registers). I met a bunch of
Lassiter High students from my county, here on a lark for part of Spring
Break. The have some good gear, but little idea of LNT and water safety. I
scolded a bit to stop washing and toileting near water sources. They
thought I must be the local authority figure. I worry about at least one
very poorly dressed kid with Ga Tech sweatshirts and severe shivering. They
expect to go off the AT at Spence Field and hike to Fontana in the back
country. I've been in their shoes, and wish them luck.

Sunday 4/2/00

I write this sitting in my tub at home, much warmer and dryer that this
morning.

We had strong winds from 9PM until 2AM, with strong rain starting 10PM. The
Wind and Rain greeted us as daybreak, magically and hour earlier than
yesterday. I was toasty warm in my Capilene's and sleeping bag, used my 300
fleece as a comfy pillow, and occasionally wished there was more cushion on
my hip bones.

It was clear the Hight School students were in for a rough ride. Their
plans sounded almost impossible, especially given the lack of shells and
fleece for some. John M had no shell or chest warmth, only a cap, 2
sweatshirts, and a thin school poncho, but good rain pants and underwear!

I did a limited "Tuckerizing."
OB: Wear my Capilene & fleece, or go home now!
Kid: Okay.
OB: If you lose these, I will hunt you down like a dog and kill you.
Kid: Yes, sir!
OB: Gimme your bottle of Pepto Bismol and take my Pepto pills - Never pack
water again.
Kid: Thank you, sir!

He wouldn't let me pack out his cotton, and I am not sure he believed the
adage of "Cotton Kills." We exchanged numbers, next of kin, SSN, blood
types and a promise to listen to the Clemson recruiter (he runs track).

Well, I put on pack, walked up to Clungmans in the _same time_ as yesterday
with only the fanny pack. Rain was intermittent with rare ice, much wind (S
to N), and howling trees. The ghost spruces make the most wailful sound in
a gale. I stopped to catch my breath, and noticed a log rising and dropping
next to me. It was all that kept a tree from falling on me.

David was not at the Clingman Parking lot. I got water in the bathroom and
2 men told me they were not going the way of Newfound Gap, and couldn't
offer a ride (Huh?) I trudged the yellow blazed path (the road) from
Clingman to Newfound Gap. The 2 guys saw me, stopped and cleared a path on
the floor of their luxury van/SUV, careful the seats were crowded (smart!).
There understood there was 1 road in and 1 road out. We enjoyed talking of
their trip to Spring Training, and a return home hitting the highest points
of each state between Florida and Maryland.

Well, my lack of purity (I hitched and walked the road) cost me 7 miles
today. It also left me waiting about 3.5 hours for my ride - who had made
Wayah Bald a Mecca for beer loving hikers. I shivered wet, cold and without
my Capilenes and heavy fleece, but knowing someone was happier.

I could have, should have walked yesterday to Mr Collins, but the kids
would have been in trouble. I could have walked today and stayed warmer
longer, but I would have gotten wetter. I hung out of the weather in the
rest rooms - very nice shelter with great piped water supplies and privies.
David finally arrived, and we took Braddock of New Brunswick to Gatlinburg.
I stopped by the ranger station for back country check-in, and alerted them
of the kids and my advice they stay on the AT and near other hikers. I
visited my Uncle Hoyle - 98 years old - in his nursing home in Maryville.
He felt week, but my stench invigorated him. He kicked me out the front
door after only 30 minutes. I made my usual Sunday afternoon calls once in
Georgia and dropped David off at his home. He is really keen to get back to
the Smokies.

I called the kid's Mom. It was here first birthday without him at home. She
was glad to hear he was safe and someone looking out for him.

Wow, 105 miles in 9 days.

OrangeBug
NC->TN 00