[at-l] Life and love on and off the Trail

In a message dated 4/5/00 9:58:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Chomp writes:

> So what is my point in all of this? I don't know that I necessarily have
>  one, except that love really is a big pain in the ass sometimes. I wish
>  more than anything that Michelle would share my love for hiking, that
>  she would see the shallowness is some of her friends, that she would
>  rather spend the night out on the lawn watching the stars than going
>  out - but that is not the case. Can we live with each of us doing our
>  own thing, I don't know. What I do know is that if you do not get back
>  to the trail, that you will regret it.

For me, these stories only confirm my desire only to find a hiker babe to
spend the rest of my days with.  I don't want to have to explain why long
distance hiking is so important to me.  I don't want to justify being gone
for months each year.  I don't want my joys to be thought of as selfish
within the confines of a relationship or marriage.  I want my partner by my
side on my long hikes, sharing the experience, having the hike temper the
relationship into a stronger alloy.

I remember vividly coming home full of excitement after the Gathering 1998 in
West Virginia.  It was truly one of the extraordinary experiences of my life,
meeting many of my online buddies for the first time, finding comfort within
this wonderful hiking community of ours and acquiring a new wardrobe to boot.
 Every attempt I tried to share this excitement of mine with my wife ended
badly.  She resented my hiking happiness and friendships.  Within a month, I
was invited to leave my home and family.  It was -- and is -- the best thing
that could have happened to me.

As I have gotten to know Jim and Ginny Owen, it became clear to me that they
exemplify the type of relationship that I seek.  It isn't for everyone, but I
know with certainty that I will share life and love on and off the Trail with
an extraordinary hiker babe who will be with me every step of the way.

Now, where the heck is she?  :)

Happy trails,

Solar Bear

"The true profession of a man is to find his way to himself."  Still looking,
but I'm not finding any blazes.  :)