Re: [at-l] Sleeping bags, socks, and gear

KarenS62@aol.com wrote:

> << > Fleece sleeping bag liner 1#1oz Took but did not need :), Could be used
> in
>> the hot of summer as a sleeping bag.
>
> Lose the liner. These don't work as summer bags. >>
>
> I love my fleece liner - I use it most of the summer as my bag.  I am
> wondering why you say these don't work?

Well, "don't work" is strong, OK, I take that back.

Here's my observation from last year.  Those who carried liners as "summer
bags" were unable to switch to them soon enough, as they were not warm
enough, and had to switch back from them before Katahdin as they were not
warm enough. This means they carried their warm bags for longer periods of
time, or were cold at night.

A good 40 degree down bag weighs less than 2 pounds and will carry you from
late spring thru summer and into fall. Swap out the "winter" bag very early
and carry the "summer" bag all the way till snow.

The mistake I made was not buying the 40 degree down bag soon enough. I did
not have one when I left and ended up buying it at Rockfish Gap. I should
have bought it ahead of time and switched a month sooner!

-p

---
Paddler
AT Class of 1999 GA>ME