Re: [at-l] Sleeping bags, socks, and gear

On Tue, 04 Apr 2000 16:04:39 -0400 "W F Thorneloe, MD"
<thornel@attglobal.net> writes:
> I strongly disagree! The whistle is an essential emergency equipment. I

> prefer to have a compass with mirror, whistle on the compass's
lanyard, and
> see a thermometer as only a convenient grabber for a zipper. But the
> compass and whistle are essential. Wait for my trip report and  "wrong
way"  story.

OB -
I wouldn't for any reason deny someone their level of comfort, but -
  - I lost (i.e. - dumped) the thermometer and whistle at Neels Gap
during my 92 AT hike.
  - the compass lasted until Damascus.
  - the compass was a necessity on the CDT and we'll carry it on the PCT
- we're just not sure how far it'll last.  But there's no way we'll carry
one on our next AT hike.
  - after 25,000 miles and 5 long distance hikes (thruhikes), neither
Ginny nor I have ever found a use for a whistle.  The only time we might
have used one was last summer - and we were 7-9 miles from the nearest
human being.  Wasn't gonna work.

But - this is only my opinion, and everyone should carry what makes them
comfortable.
I really do want to hear your story, though.

Walk softly,
Jim

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.