[at-l] Erwin Tenn Hike

19.1 miles over 2 days. 10.8 across Unaka Mountain was beautiful. Sunny,

warm, nice. I led the way up the mountain (couldn't stop once I got the
momentum going). Stopped and visited waaaay too long, but met some neat
people and heard some interesting tales. Met 19 hikers that first day
from
Nevada, Wisconsin, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, just all over! From
Indian
Grave Gap drove on a fire road (10 miles) across Beauty Spot. Took an
hour.
Rough road. Got back to town and tried to eat, but I was sick like a
pup.
Dunno what it was. Sharp headach and felt like throwing up. It passed
eventually. Rained all night. I shook Dale's van to wake him about 7 (8
new
time). Ate breackfast and set off on aour mission.  I took the lead on
day 2
and charged up the mountain. Met up with a slow poke going our way. He
was
day hiking our section too, but had a full pack. I guess he wanted to
look
the part of a hiker. He'd talk and walk...then stop and talk...then
repeat.
I didn't mind the walking talks, but those stops had to stop. We
followed
him about a half mile to a shelter where Santa Claus was donning his
pack.
Dale said I don't think I'm gonna stop here and took off at a trot. I
followed at a gallop. Old Stutter Step (I named him) was right behind
us.
Dale set a pace similar to mine in the morning (4.1 miles in 1 hour and
40
minutes). and we finally lost him.

Dan Trent  <trent@inetone.net>