Re: [at-l] Jokes & Wages

In a message dated 4/3/00 10:48:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bullard@northnet.org writes:

> So where does the difference in 'average' pay come from?

Another factoid.  Some hot, well-paying careers just aren't attracting
significant numbers of women.  Case in point: my son recently competed in a
computer programming competition for high school kids sponsored by
Embry-Riddle University in Daytona Beach, FL.  There were 42 students
representing as many high schools from all over the state.  ALL 42
contestants were male.  There was much hand-wringing by the speakers about
that sad statistic.

It will not be some dominant male conspiracy when most of the computer jobs
go to the boys and men who wish to learn the skills.  An interesting irony is
that many of the computer teachers (including my son's) were female.

Happy trails,

Solar Bear

"The true profession of a man is to find his way to himself."  Still looking,
but I'm not finding any blazes.  :)