RE: [at-l] Pinhoti

Just hiked from Adam's Gap to Odum Point this weekend. (Part of a longer
loop.) The blazing up to the climb up Talladega Mountain from the south is
pretty good. About halfway through the rock fall it gets a little sketchy,
but if you go slow and look carefully, you will find blazes all the way up.
Some are the white "turkey foot" marks, some are standard blue blaze marks,
both are very faded.

Once on top, the blazing from the rock fall to Odum Point is sporadic, but
the path is fairly easy to follow. The path winds around below the rock face
of Odom Point, just so you can have the opportunity of picking your way
through another rock field. There are only one or two blazes going across
this field, but it is very short so it isn't too much problem.

After Odum Point to the intersection with Chinabee Silent and Odum trails
the path is easy to follow but only blazed occasionally. Unless it is
raining (which it was) they are easy to follow. If it is raining the path is
hard to distinguish from the creek...

Haven't been past the intersection so I can't speak to the next six miles to
Cheaha State Park. The Rangers at the park are friendly, and if you ask,
they will let you use the newly renovated bathrooms in the camping area
which have SHOWERS!

If you take Chinabee Silent down to Turnipseed, be prepared for a torturous,
pounding climb down another rock fall. The top portion is the worst and the
climb is much longer than the climb coming up from Adam's Gap. Although the
grade isn't as steep as the southern approach, the length of the climb makes
up for it. I don't recommend this in wet weather. The last creek before
Turnipseed was three feet deep and twenty five feet across, we had to put on
our sandals and wade in icy water. This section was listed as moderately
difficult - only if you are an experienced hiker. For a novice or day hiker
I would bump the rating to at least difficult if not higher.

There are lots of campsites all along the top from Odum Point to the climb
down to Adam's Gap. From the base of the southern rock fall to Adam's Gap
there is almost no place level enough to pitch a tent. My recommendation
would be any of the sites except the one right at the trail intersection. If
you don't mind carrying water for half a mile or so, the one right on top of
the southern rock fall is beautiful if a little exposed.

Lee I Joe