Re: [at-l] All or Nothing?

What I suggested over on another list, was that people who live in the
various States (and states, lol) along the AT, tell the rest of us WHEN the
Optimum Time would be to hike in their section.  THEN, a person could plan
on SECTION hiking during the optimum month or months.

Such as, here in No Ga, it's absolutely BeaUtiFul in October when the leaves
change (altho it may be dry and some of the 'intermittant' springs may be
low or non-existent).  November is great, not too cold, and the views are
wonderful, but again this can be a very dry month if we haven't had enough
rain earlier in the year.  April and May, of course, are lovely when the
dogwoods and rhododendron and wild flowers bloom here, and usually the later
Spring months after the Time Change allow for later in the evening hiking.
In No Ga, if you're prepared for the weather, the entire year is great to
hike in.  But I'd suggest October or early November as my favorite times
with Spring (April and May) as a very close second.

If "2000-milers" would consider hiking during an Optimum Month(s) in many
States the "thruhiker" crush, overcrowded shelters, etc, could be avoided.

The reason why this may not be achieved by some, is that they take "6
months" off and budget a certain amount of money to hike the AT in one
Through/Thru Hike.

BUT for the REST of us who hike in week or two or longer sections, How About
people on this list let us in on your 'Optimum Hiking Month(s) in your area?

Thanks from a Section Hiker,
Coosa