[at-l] Bye for now

Well, this is my last post, gotta get to Nepal!  Copied below is what I
received today.  Luckily, I am flying in on the 5th in the afternoon!  Looks
like I will take the 6th to relax and recover from 4 days of travel to get
there.  You'all have a great spring and I will talk to you when I get back
the end of May.  Get some hiking in and behave yourselves!

Important Security Information for American Citizens in Nepal

Maoist groups in Nepal have called for an "armed Bandh" throughout Nepal on
Thursday, April 6 to culminate the "Month of Action." While the Embassy does
not have specific information about what activities will take place and
where, this is the first time Maoist groups have called for an armed Bandh
and police expect a greater than usual likelihood of violence on the evening
of April 5 and on April 6, particularly in outlying areas of the country.

During a normal Bandh (general strike), activists typically enforce a ban on
motorized vehicular traffic and intimidate businesses into closing. On the
evening of April 5 and on April 6, torchlight marches, demonstrations and
traffic stoppages in larger district centers and in Kathmandu are expected.
In the past, rock throwing and confrontations with police have been
associated with such events. It is unclear what is meant by the term "armed
Bandh" and how such an event would differ from a normal Bandh. The Embassy
will publicize additional information as it becomes available.

American citizens residing in or traveling to or through Nepal are advised to
avoid road travel on April 6, especially through district centers, and in
Kathmandu, and to exercise extra caution in avoiding public gatherings.

The Embassy anticipates vehicular travel to and from Tribhuvan International
Airport in Kathmandu will not be available on the evening of April 5 and on
April 6. American citizens are advised to reschedule airline arrivals and
departures planned for the evening of April 5 and for April 6 to avoid
getting stuck at the airport upon arrival or being unable to reach the
airport for departures on those days.

The Embassy and other U.S. Mission facilities in Kathmandu will be closed
April 6. For American citizen emergencies, Consular staff can be reached by
calling 410-531 or 410-354. During normal work hours the Consular Section can
be reached at 411-179.

This Security Announcement expires April 7, 2000.

Please post prominently and/or distribute to all American citizens in your
neighborhood or organization.

Leapfrog