[at-l] knees

Just found out today that I will have to have knee surgery.  While hiking
two weeks ago I had an accident which damaged my knee big time.  Saw the MRI
today.  I have one for sure torn cartilage and another possibly.  Also tore
the ACL (major knee ligament).  What i want to know is,... have any of you
out there had knee problems/surgery?  The Dr. seems to think I'm too old to
put me through the ligament repair, which means a recovery period of up to 9
months. (I'm 50).  My feeling about it is, anything that will let me hike
again, I'm willing to do what it takes.  Suggestions, advice, support.
websites?  Thanks  D$mnthosekneesNancy