Re: [at-l] and what do you do for a living?

You listen to that Pittsman, he's pushin' an idea I really like, there.

Starting with a couple of people on my pre-hike job who got a glint in their
eye thinking about early retirement; and proceeding through the lifestyles
of hikers who had wintered-over in trail towns house-sitting and working for
temp agencies or pizzerias; I conferred with some returned thruhikers who
were working at hostels and other trail-related jobs -- and proceeded to
mentally jump ship.  Haven't dealt with "financial security" in the same way
since and have never been more prosperous!

Having hiked 1500 miles, and with every intention of going back this summer
for the rest, I popped back into my previous "career" (marketing -- at a
nicely-negotiated bump in pay) and worked a side job waiting tables for
awhile, waiting for family circumstances to free me up for my return to the
trail.

Wearying of the restaurant job, I bagged it, but went out to play at things
I like (newspapers) and  wonder about (organic vegetable farming).  As
Thoreau tells us will happen,* I overshot:  now, one night a week I'm copy
editor at the local weekly and I'm living (literally dirt cheap) --and
working the remaining evenings -- on an organic vegetable farm.

All three employers and the landlady are aware I'm hiking out of town 7/15.
They'll be my references when I go to NYC (straight from Kahtadin) and set
up life again for another couple of years before the next expedition (yet to
be dreamed up for sure).

Go ahead:  do what you actually like -- in THIS lifetime!

Just Playin' Jane '98/'00

* "If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams and endeavors
to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success
unexpected in common hours."