Re: [at-l] Cell phones and safety (realistically)

You list 6 questions below that are not relevant.
Cell phones save lives!
Of course, usually the life is saved before it reaches the trail...
Some of us would get killed by our spouses or significant others
if we did not agree to take a cell phone on a thruhike.

In reference to your questions (seriously this time...), even if we
pose these questions to the people staying at home it wouldn't matter.
It's not how useful a cell phone is in reality... Its how useful people
at home think they are (this is what makes them feel better, even if you
never use it and bounce it up the trail the whole time, they feel better
thinking
you have it).

They seem like they would be too much of a hassle to me,
especially since I hate talking on the phone... Especially when
I am in the woods trying to relax.
Of course I''m a guy.... We would rather grunt and fart to communicate,
which I believe is an accepted practice at shelters....
Not too high tech & gets the point across.  :-)

Russ

In a message dated 03/16/2000 1:56:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,