[at-l] cell phones

[ first if your mind is going to explode because I'm talking about cell
phones and you feel you need to rant at me for taking one please take a
deep breath and DON'T DO IT...]

I have been asked, asked again, and asked again, to take my cell phone on
my AT hike. My parents are concerned. They have a right to be especially
given that I've not done anything like this before and limited vision
does play a role in my life. They want me to carry the cell phone so I
can call for help should something dire happen. I completely understand
that concern. But, I'd really rather not bother carrying the thing.

If I can convince them that the coverage in the trail itself just won't
be found that'll do it. The seciton of trail that I'll spend most of my
time in is in Vriginia. So, if we ignore moutain tops just how spotty is
coverage?

Please, don't rant at me on this. This bit of equipment is something I'd
carry to calm the fears of my parents. They've not done any hiking on the
AT and aren't really sure just how busy it can be this time of year (they
hike, but different places and just day hiking - camping hs been
something they've done for a VERY long time).

  ** Ken **

**        krk@home.msen.com           http://home.msen.com/~krk     **