Re: [at-l] Pinhoti Trail in Alabama

Nina,

I hiked about 40 miles of it several years ago, and I also helped construct
part of the Pinhoti that extends northward toward Georgia.  My main memory
of hiking the trail was that it was not well marked in places and a bit
overgrown.

Here are a few links that might give you some more information on the
Pinhoti and possibly some contacts regarding shuttles.

M. Lee Van Horn has developed a neat online Pinhoti Trail Guide that is
intended to be suppplemented by the trail maps.  He's done a good job, and
that link is below.  He has also developed a Hiking Alabama website that
includes other trails and links.  He estimates the current length of the
Pinhoti at 111 miles, 8 of which has been constructed north of Talladega
National Forest.

http://public.surfree.com/fountain/pinhoti/pinhotiI.htm (Pinhoti Trail
Guide)
http://public.surfree.com/fountain/alabama.htm (Hiking Alabama)
http://www.alabamatrails.com/ Alabama Trails Association (Group building the
Pinhoti in Alabama)
http://sport.al.com/sport/atca  Appalachian Trail Club of Alabama
(Reportedly active on the Pinhoti as well)

Take Care,

Tim Rich
Kennesaw, GA

http://www.geocities.com/louisianahikingclub