Re: [at-l] A few comments to some of my fans. . .

Jack, as I read your message to me you just said what you have been
saying again. Worse, and maybe this is what people object too (including
me at times), you speak out of both sides of your mouth. In one paragraph
admitting you can be strident and then in the next saying that "everyone
knows" this and that and that because you have hiked so much you have a
more valid opinion than others. Leaving aside the accuracy of these
statements your tone can easily be read as strident.

The fact that I've yet to see answers to the qustions I asked also has
something to do with this. I've ben trying to remind people that it isn't
technology per se that is the issue with questions such as: are you
offended when a person fires up their Whisperlite at midnight while you
are asleep; do you begrudge the person at a view point his chance to set
up a major camera rig and take pictures; is it intrusive for someone to
start chopping wood at 6:00AM? I'd be irritated if someone fired up a
loud stove really late at night, wouldn't care if someone was
photographing a superb view using a substantial camera set up, and would
be irritated at the wood chopper. My irritation would not ruin my hike.

Appropriate/timely use is the only reasonable issue here. We all use
technology whether we care to admit it or not. The fact that some people
use "high tech" to improve their experience does not make a difference.

As I've said before if a person is so concerned with keeping the "outside
world" out (and I'm not going to get involved with a discussion of the
separation of worlds) then hiking on the AT is probably not what they
should be doing. The "world" of the AT includes the people on it.

  ** Ken **

**        krk@home.msen.com           http://home.msen.com/~krk     **