Re: [at-l] Detracting from my hike

OrangeBug wrote:

> Actually, I do not find stupidity terribly funny. When I have worked in
> prisons, I have never met an inmate there because of cleverness or genius.
> If one understands that possession and use of drugs is a crime, then
> displaying and offering MJ or other drugs to strangers is nothing short of
> stupidity.  It is not credible that this person failed to know this. Such
> stupidity often results in making your career an indentured servant in a
> prison industry for many years, with the loss of property, privilege and
> liberty.

Of the fellow's stupidity there is no question. My kvetch was
over the circumstances that made his civility and friendliness
a stupid act.

> Now should the use of MJ be a crime? That is a very different issue. But
> while it is a crime, this hiker's stupidity should be a reminder to others.

You betcha. Anyone who believes that the Appalachian Trail
is a place from which to truly escape the ills and constraints
of society is a fool. It'll only get worse as the trail becomes
more popular and regulated.

> And yes, stupidity usually is a life sentence, although I've seen death
> result from it also.

True enough.