[at-l] [at-l} computers and GORP.com

Hey, Jack, itís ironic, isnít it, that you started both the computer debate
AND it was your proposal that made GORP interested in doing a computer-based
project in the first place -- because of your proposal to GORP for commercial
sponsorship of your hike? (I know, I know, --  some people object to
commercial sponsorships, but hey, one argument at a time). Speaking for GORP,
we thought it was a good  idea -- not so much for the on-trail publicity you
proposed, but we liked the idea of our readers following someone on the
trail.

Anyway, to bring everyone up to date, GORP couldnít sponsor Jack. We wanted
to -- I mean, one of the the big problems of sponsoring hikers is the high
drop-out rate among thru-hikers -- Jack's a four-time thru-hiker, so that
meant that we'd have a real good chance of following someone all the way. But
heís going northbound and we just couldnít put all the pieces together that
quickly.  Also, as he made clear, he doesnít believe in computers on the
trail. We ARE, after all, a high-tech computer-based Internet company -- if
we went ahead with a sposorship, we would want to use available technology to
get the articles up on the web in a more timely way.

So I just wanted to remind people that GORP.com is still looking for people
who are indeed willing to carry some sort of electronic device to post their
journals to our Website --- to those of you who have written already -- weíll
be in touch soon. (We just feel we need to talk to as many people as
possible, since stuff does happen to derail even the best-planned thru-hike.)
Oh, and itís gotta be a southbounder, because we canít pull all the pieces
together in time for a north-bound starting date.

If you missed my first post on this subject, hereís the deal: We provide some
gear and the computer or Palmpilot; you do some Q&As with our readers and
write a few articles/journal entries for us  (We donít want your; whole
personal journal  Ė just enough to give the folks sitting at home the idea of
a thru hike and let them follow you.) There will also be a little cash
involved as payment for your articles/journals/whatever.  GORP.com is one of
the largest outdoor recreation sites on the Web, with more than 1 million
hits per month Ė I think this is going to be a lot of fun, plus if youíre an
aspiring writer, youíll get some clips/visibility. We ARE looking for people
who can write well.

Anyway, this has all been very interesting Ė Iíve certainly learned a lot
from this discussion and will talk to anyone we do happen to sponsor about
the issues people have expressed concern about. Hopefully, weíll be able to
pick someone who isnít inconsiderate and all those other bad words
(churlish?). But my sense of the "consensus" (and I have read all the posts)
is that most people are saying, hey, just be reasonable and polite and quit
making a big issue out of every difference.

Have to say that when I rehike the AT, itís gonna be southbound and
off-season so I donít have to justify every little decision I make thatís not
the same as what someone else is doing.

Karen Berger
Class of í94 and GORP.com hiking person