[at-l] Computers and courtesy

     This post will probably piss some folks off, because of its content,
tone, and wording. I wish this were avoidable, but I'm afraid it can't be
helped.

     That being said, I wanted to thank all the folks who've written, both
publicly, and privately to me, in regards to my recent "survey" on computers
in the woods, their use, and how hikers view them.  Nearly all of the
comments I read or received were thoughtful, sensible, and educational.

     However, one comment really bothered me.  I won't embarass the guy by
naming him, but I will comment on his remarks.  In discussing the propriety
of computers on the trail, and the etiquette involving their use, this
fellow made it very clear that he intended to carry and use his computer
throughout his trip, wherever and however he wished, and that he didn't give
a rat's ass how others felt about this behavior.  In no uncertain terms, he
said, and I quote, "I don't feel I should have to hide in the woods to use
it."  As far as the etiquette surrounding the use of electronic gadgetry on
the A.T. he said "Each person should decide for themselves."

    I know this guy has yet to thru-hike, so perhaps he's merely speaking
out of ignorance, but he has absolutely no idea how wrong his mindset and
attitude is, particularly as regards the feelings and considerations of
other hikers.  There's a curious, and completely false mindset about the
Trail regarding that timeworn, overstated, and frequently mis-used old
chestnut, "hike your own hike."

    HYOH does not now, nor did it ever mean, that one can do as they damned
well please when hiking the A.T.  What it means for most people, and after
10,000  miles on the Trail and having personally met more than a quarter of
all the people who have thru-hiked, I think I know what I'm talking about
here---what "Hike Your Own Hike" means for most folks is that how you view
your hike, why you choose to hike, what you hope to get out of your trip, is
your business.  What you carry, how far or how fast you go, is your
business.  Northbound, or south, flip-flop, sectioner, blue-blazer,
whatever---is YOUR business.  Your are pretty much free to hike as you
please, as long as your actions or behavior do no damage to the Trail, the
thru-hiker community, to the environment, or to other hikers.  You are
essentially free to hike and live as you please, provided your actions or
behavior do not have a negative impact on the Trail, or on those with whom
you're sharing it.  In other words, your "right" to Hike Your Own Hike stops
flat when it interferes with others' right to hike theirs, and obviously,
such behavior as improper cell phone use, playing video games, listening to
a radio or tape deck without an earplug----all of this is clearly
unacceptable, rude, classless, offensive, selfish, boorish, inconsiderate
behavior.  I don't think any of us would argue that the tradition of Hiking
One's Own Hike would permit the indiscriminate, thoughtless behavior I've
just described.  And to state that proper behavior in this regard is
something that "Each person should decide for themselves" is absolutely
wrong.  It is a comment so manifestly self-centered and ignorant that it
could have ONLY been made by someone who has spent little time on the A.T.

    And here's the news:  An awful lot of folks view computers, and other
high-tech links to the outside world in the exact same light.  Don't get me
wrong.  I am not, and never would tell someone what they may or may not
carry.  I obviously don't have that right, and wouldn't want it.  It's not
my business what other folks bring with them.  But it is EVERYONE'S business
how these things are used, and there is a very clear, very well understood
etiquette involving the use of these toys.  It's realy very simple:

    1)  Most people go into the woods and mountains, in part, to leave this
sort of thing behind for awhile.  They do not need, or want, permanent
reminders or electronic umbilical cords that would remind them of the world
they've left, and will have to return to so soon.  In short, most folks DO
NOT welcome the sight or public use of these items.

    2)If computers and phones must be carried, they should be used
discreetly, and PRIVATELY.  Nobody goes out in the woods to see other folks
yakking on the phone, or tapping away in a shelter or while sitting at a
scenic vista.  The public use of these items, their noise, their very
presence, even, is viewed by most folks as intrusive, unnecessary, and
absolutely destructive of their "wilderness" experience.  It is not behavior
that others should be compelled to witness.

   3)In that it's very clear how most folks feel about this, then it's also
clear that anyone who willfully and purposefully disregards this established
etiquette is selfish, thoughtless, and rude.  People like this should
rethink what they're doing in the woods.  If this is your attitude and
mindset, then a well-travelled, public Trail, especially a highly social one
such as the A.T., is NOT for them.

   4)If, after knowing all this, one still continues to use one's toys
wherever and however they see fit, without thought as to the felings or
concerns of anyone else, well, this to me brands one as an asshole of truly
extraordinary proportions.  Happily, tho, in my experience, people of this
sort are easily recognized by other hikers, and are treated as though they
were carrying typhoid.  They generally don't last very long, they tend to be
whiners and very high-maintenance types, and they usually can't hack more
than a few weeks on the Trail.  They tend to slink back home, telling
friends and family about some spurious injury that ended their trip.  But in
any case, they can't hack the Trail, and they don't last.  And if they do
stick around, they tend to hike alone.  People like this are poison and
everyone knows it.

     Whew.  Strog stuff, I know, but it needed to be said.  If you're going
to spend any real time on the A.T., you MUST be aware of the needs and
considerations of other hikers, and you must be willing to adapt or
compromise your needs and wants to conform with the desires of others.  If
you are unable, or more likely, unwilling to be considerate of the needs of
others, if you genuinely feel that matters such as those discussed above are
something that "each person should decide for themselves," well here's the
news:  Anyone that truly feels this way does not belong on the A.T.  The me!
me! me! philosophy so prevalent in modern life is the exact opposite of what
life is like on the Trail, and anyone who puts their needs and desires so
far ahead the concerns of their fellows simply doesn't understand what the
Trail is all about.  Hike Your Own Hike, by all means---but when Hiking
Yours starts interfering with other folks' right to Hike Theirs, then we've
got a problem.

                                       Jack Tarlin
                                   (AT 95-96;97;98;99; and
                                       hopefully '00)