Re: [at-l] Computers on the Trail, yea or nay?

On 3/8/2000 7:13 PM Jack Tarlin baltjack@hotmail.com wrote:

OK, Jack... Here goes....

>    1)Do you feel comfortable with hikers who are packing computers?

I have no problem. Even if I did not carry a handheld which I can write
on instead of type I'd have no problem.

>    2)Do you feel computers and other hi-tech links to the outside world are
>intrusive, harmful to ones' "wilderness" experience, and are out-of-place on
>the A.T.?

No. Wilderness does not mean low-tech. It means strictly wildneress. I
can enjoy what is out there just fine. If the noises of human life bugged
me then hiking the AT would be a mistake since it is full of human
activity.  A Whisperlite going off late at night or early in the morning
would be more intrusive than a computer. But, no one complains about them.

>    3)Do you feel that if used discreetly and privately that it's OK to
>carry and use a computer?

Yes. I'd like to see people use courtessy when firing up a noisy stove or
turning on a camp lantern too.

>    4)How do feel the majority of the A.T. community feels about this?

I'm not sure. I won't presume to speak for those who I've not heard from
on this.

>    5)Do you not really care one way or the other?

This question really doesn't make much sense to me.

I've said this before, but maybe I should say it again. I carry a
handheld to better record my thoughts as I explore. My exploration
includes seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, and touching (get those
senses involved, damn it) the world around me. That includes sharing time
with other people on the trail and learning about them. My own "journey
of discovery" if you like. I find that I can best record that journey
with the aid of a computer since it gives me the ability to write
considerably more than I proably would otherwise want. I don't care if
the journal ever goes online (admittedly much easier if written on a
computer). I consider my handheld an extension of paper and pen(cil).

I'm going to leave the issues of worthiness of technologies alone.
They've been beaten to death enough times already.

  ** Ken **

**        krk@home.msen.com           http://home.msen.com/~krk     **