Re: [at-l] Buffington's thru-hike prep / web journal

>ATnavi@aol.com
>[clip]
>> So...comments on how some of you interacted with getting your journal notes
>> to the web, eventually?

I keep journals using a handheld computer. I take my MessagePad 2100 and
either write long hand on the screen and let it transcribe that into
print (usually pretty well even with my crummy writing) or I type using a
full size keyboard. The latter lets me write considerably more, but it
does add 9 ounces to the total package (total weight about 29.5oz). My
main reason for doing things this way is that if I write long hand on
paper I run the risk of later on not being able to figure out what I
wrote! Also, it'd take me FOREVER to transcribe a paper copy to the
computer if I wanted to post it on the web (I'd not inflict my writing on
people so xeroxing a paper journal is out).

I've always been a far better typer than long hand writer and I've never
believed anything is lost in typing something v. writing it long hand. I
will take the 2100 on my AT section hike though I'll probably bounce the
keyboard from place to place. Write detailed notes on the trail and flesh
it out in towns using the keyboard.

In a town I could easily email my musings to friends with a modem tht
could bounce along with the keyboard. Not sure I'll if I'll bother doing
that though.

  ** Ken **

**        krk@home.msen.com           http://home.msen.com/~krk     **