[at-l] Re: Lasik

KC, I'm so so sorry to hear about that!  I did hear the bad reports as
well--worrying about having that happened kept me up for long nights before
the surgery--I wish her the best in recovery.  Thanks for the reminder--

	I strongly agree with you about being careful in making this decision!
Anyone interested make sure you do your research and talk with lots of
people who have had it done, especially with the surgeon you're
considering!   I spent about a year deciding.  I had previously ruled out
RK for the reasons Orangebug states in his post--not an operation to do if
you can get along very well with contacts, but the jump to Laser was a
major improvement (the next improvement will be imprinting a map on the
cornea for the surgeon--this will raise correction rate from 97 to 99%
accuracy as long as the surgeon is adept).

 What made me decide to go ahead is hearing people (including my Dad) who
had seen this particular surgeon--he is the head of the NJ cornea
institute--which is part of the NJ medical university and is a teaching
center, and is one of the original researchers for Lasik and the FDA
appointed long-term effects researcher for the US; he's, also, done over
4000 of the operation I was going for with good results.   My father had
already extensively researched his reputation (you can find out a surgeon's
practice history--if he's had any malpractice suits or complaints if you
research) and had volunteered to be in an experimental group for
far-sightedness the year before.  Most of the problems I heard about in
Lasik surgery (and there certainly were people who had bad operations) were
human error--if the surgeon cuts a bad flap or doesn't recognize when he
should stop (there are certain cases where do to cornea irregularity, the
surgery should not go further) then there can be irreversible damage--as
well as if the laser isn't properly serviced and programmed.  You also
should be given a very thorough (around 4-5 hr) examination before you
decide--not everyone is a good candidate--they need to check your cornea
thickness, pressure, surface, prescription history, etc. and have a 3 year
check up procedure as part of the surgery.  Your surgeon should have the
time to go over all the possibe side-effects no matter how small and give
you an honest percentage on what his previous patients have had happen (in
my case, 2 percent of my surgeon's patients had either had no improvement
or complications--we went carefully over the risks--he answered all my
questions respectfully and gave me as much consultation time with him as I
needed before deciding).  Your surgeon is responsible for all of this.  You
must be able to have complete confidence in your surgeon--as for any
operation.  Since I was actually pretty satisfied with contacts, I
certainly did not want to do anything I could regret.
		It's been a year for my dad and since December for me and neither of us
have had any of the problems that were possible to experience.  For me this
has been a complete miracle.  But, as KC points out, there have been
varying results.
research your surgeon!
				EJ