Re: [at-l] Avery Awards

At 07:29 PM 3/6/00 EST, Snodrog5@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 3/6/2000 7:04:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>hikeusa@freewwweb.com writes:
>
><< Wingfoots words about Myron Avery are below. >>
>Interesting.
>Myron's son Robert was retired and living in Bar Harbor last I knew,
>I wonder what he would have to say about the "Avery" award?
>Myron Avery never 'thruhiked', he was however, the first to 'do' every mile
>of the AT,
>with his famous measuring wheel. It was Myron who pushed to have the
>AT end at Katahdin, and not at Mt Washington. I'm not sure I follow the logic
>in naming a thruhiking award after Avery.

If you read what WF said "For all of the above reasons, Avery is the name that we will use for the society being founded this year to recognize those who have hiked the entire Appalachian Trail" you will note that he didn't say it was a *thru-hiking* award but rather an award for those who had hiked the "entire ... trail". It sounds like he's planning to usurp the ATC's role of recognizing 2000 milers and do it using the name of one of ATC's own.

Saunterer * From the AT-L | Need help? http://www.backcountry.net/faq.html *