Re: [at-l] contact lenses on trail?

just a thought for anyone who might have been pondering this:
	look into Lasik surgery if you're very nearsighted (or farsighted--there's
FDA approved procedure now, my dad was part of the experimental group and
he's gone from needing bifocals and an extra pair to nothing at all) and
you travel a lot or are becoming disillusioned with contacts (and you're a
bit adventurous).
	I wore extended lenses for about 23 years and thought they were fine, if a
pain to keep clean etc. at times.  My dad convinced me to get surgery to
correct myopia last December (impetus being this hike).  I was scared to
death before but elated afterwards.  After being unable to see more than 3
inches further than my hands since I was a kid, I now almost have forgotten
what wearing glasses or contacts are like (other than sometimes at night
when I start trying to take my contacts out).  A good surgeon is expensive
(it was about 6000 for me) but the amount saved in glasses, contacts, eye
problems etc. over the years will add up to that quickly AND seeing is
amazing.  He even corrected my astigmatism.
	I know this is not for everyone, but it's a realistic choice for a few.
				EJ