[at-l] contact lenses on trail?

Unless I'm wrong, you'd still need to disinfect and treat your two-week disposables every night. That might be a problem.

I wore the Accuvue daily disposables on my thruhike and had no problems. I didn't want to be disinfecting lenses on the Trail, as it's a very grimy environment. My practice was to wear each fresh pair for two days and a night, sleep every other night lens-less, and put in a fresh pair on the third morning. It required some careful cleaning of hands, but worked OK for me. This way I didn't have to carry a lot of heavy saline solution, just a tiny bottle (I used a recycled Visene bottle about the size of my thumb) to wet the fresh lenses when I was putting them in. The fresh lenses, which I sent to myself in maildrops, are stored in sealed foil containers that are less likely to become contaminated by trail and shelter grime than is a standard lens case.

FWIW, an eye doctor would tell you NOT to sleep wearing the lenses, as it increases risk of eye infection. But I figured that it was a greater risk of eye infection to be putting dirty trail fingers in my eyes twice a day, and trying to disinfect and reuse lenses in a dirty environment. So, as I said above, every other night I left lenses in overnight, then replaced them with clean new lenses.

My impression is that the daily-wear disposable lenses are thinner and lighter, and were at one time referred to as "extended wear" lenses (which the user could wear while sleeping), before product liability suits forced the manufacturer to stop making that claim.

--Rhymin' Worm
(Robert Rubin)