Re: [at-l] MiniRuck Invitation - Lake Winfield Scott

In a message dated 03/05/2000 6:20:27 PM EDT, lpatton@mailer.fsu.edu writes:

<<  This idea started out as a small get-together planned as the last
 stop on my way home from an April trip visiting friends and relatives in
 place of my usual Spring backpacking trip, seeing as how I can't hike for
 a while due to *%!&@ plantar fasciitis.  But the suggestion has been made
 and seconded that we open it up to the List.  So here goes.

    Easter weekend, Friday April 21 through Sunday April 23, at Lake
 Winfield Scott (a U.S. Forest Service campground north of Atlanta, north
 of Suches south of Blairsville) there will be a *real* AT-L campfire at a
 weekend campout for Listers-and-significant-others.

Activity Overview
Overlooking beautiful Lake Winfield Scott in the north Georgia
mountains, this recreation area offers camping, picnicking, boating,
fishing and hiking. Two camping loops offer 36 campsites on a first
come, first serve basis. You can reserve in advance agroup-camping area
 that accommodates a maximum of 25 people.

Directions: Take U.S. 19 and 129 south from Blairsville for 10 miles;
turn right (west) on Georgia 180 for 7 miles.

Site Amenities: Loop through recreation area is paved. Five pull-through
sites and two double sites are available. Each campsite is equipped with
tent pad, grill, lantern post and picnic table. Drinking water,
restrooms and hot showers are available during open season.  The area
has a few campsites that are accessible to disabled visitors, and has an
accessible fishing deck. Restrooms are not yet specifically designed to
be accessible to people with disabilities.

Requirements: The camping area is open from late April until late
October; fee is $6 per site per day. There are 16 campsites available
from October until April at a reduced fee of $4 per site per day.
Group-camping area fee is $25 per day and reservation fee is $10. During
winter months, drinking water is not available and restroom is a privy.

Recommended Seasons: Yearlong.

For More Information
Contact USDA Forest Service
Brasstown Ranger District