[at-l] [at-list] lawsuit stuff

I do know that when I worked for a publisher, we had a mailing list, and it
had some of our pesonal names on it as red flags. We would rent the list out
for one-time use, and that way, we would know if the renter used it more than
once. The list was proprietary simply because we had compiled it. We didn't
have to add value; the very act of compiling the list (of interested buyers
of a product, for example) adds value to the information.  If someone else
compiled the exact same list totally independently, they would have the
rights to use and sell their list. But they'd have to get the info from other
sources.

I don't know the details of this particular issue, but I do know that when
people from ALDHA did the first Thru-hikers Companion, they were absolute
sticklers about not using anything from Wingfoot's guides. They would
interview people who would say, "Well, why don't you just get that
information from the Thru-hikers Guide, it's all in there," and they would
say, "We can't -- we have to get it from you."

Personally, I hate hearing about these lawsuits sorts of things in our tiny
little community.

Karen Berger