Re: [at-l] Avery Awards and Avery monitors

Wow......Big brother is watching.....Be careful what you do......
He is always looking over your shoulder......Remember when you
squat to SH--, that he is right behind you ;-)... Hope he enjoys the view...

In a message dated 03/02/2000 11:34:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kahley7@ptd.net writes:

<<
 At 12:27 PM 2/29/00 -0600, Leslie Booher wrote:
 >What are Avery Awards and Avery monitors?  I don't know nuttin' about them
 >critters.  Leslie

 The Avery Awards are Dan's idea to establish a new certification for a
 thruhike.
 He is disturbed by the ATC's current standard and their reliance of the
honesty
 of the hiker's representation of the purity of their hike.

 His plan will allow a hiker to apply for an Avery by submitting their
 itinerary.
 The application will then be posted on the internet for review.
 Hikers who wish to dispute the legitimacy of the applicants purity will be
 invited to submit a challenge.  The challenge will be evaluated and voted
 on by the Avery board.  If it is accepted the hiker will be refused
admittance
 into the Avery Society.

 <SNIP>

 "Avery Moniters " is my moniker for people who would bother to keep
 track of who was where and when with such accuracy .....people who
 would be sooo concerned as to the purity of another hikers hike as
 to be involved in such an evaluation.  I asked if they would be officially
 sanctioned and wear a patch or badge so that prospective Averyers would
 know with whom to register to insure validation or if, perhaps a stealth
 core of monitors wouldn't be better able to keep truthful track of
 everyone.

 Maybe I'm PARANOID, but I remember the traffic safety moniters from
 grade school.  Teacher Teacher....Kahley didn't stay in the crosswalk!!!!!
 Even then I had trouble staying within the lines ;^(  Detention again <sigh>

 And now I am heading back to the trees.....they tell no tales and let me
 rant at will <VVVBG>