Re: [at-l] introduction

On a more serious note:

1. The Data Book, by the ATC - good basic mileage. Springs. Roads. Terse.
Rip the covers off to save weight. Not very helpful on resupply.

2. Wingfoot's book - Excellent, but he seems to have lost interest in it.
Heavy, rip it into sections and mail the others down the trail in your
bounce box. Getting dated. Opinionated (although I generally agree with the
opinions. Generally.) Chatty. Great for resupply. Friendly (really - the old
WF).

3. The ALDHA book. Improving. Terser than WF's book, so lighter. Good for
resupply. Easier to rip up (spiral bound). Either book would get you
through. Not judgmental, if that's important. Philosophy is bare-bones, not
a cookbook on the one, good, thru-hike. But you could do worse than WF's
one, good, thru-hike.

4. The ATC individual guidebooks. TOOOOO heavy. Better for day hiking. Good
if you can't follow blazes (you can). Often dated on resupply.

5. Guidebook Maps. Not really necessary, but nice. Find out where you are.
Heavy, but not too. I always carry maps. Some are scaled so as to be almost
useless (TN). Don't let the elevation profiles freak you out. Some say they
kill the spontaneity of each day.

6. Haven't seen Rosie's book yet.

- Gary from Fairfax  JMHO