Re: [at-l] The Handbook, the Companion, and a respectful suggestion

At 02:06 PM 3/2/00 -0500, Malcolm Fuller wrote:
>> In fact, for him to have stepped across the line to suing
>> the organizations most of us belong to and pay dues -- NON
>> PROFIT organizations that do nothing but good for OUR Trail
>> mostly -- that is taking it so far it's incredible.
>
>Oh, I don't know about that. If Wingfoot has a legitimate
>gripe over copyright infringement, he should defend his
>intellectual property even from little old blue-haired
>church ladies and boy scouts. IMO, you can only paint him
>as the "bad guy" if the redress he's seeking is somehow
>excessive.

From the post I take it that he is considering a suit based on similarity
of "format". That is (IMHO) ridiculous. I can't believe that copywrite
covers "format". If it did no writer (after the first) could publish a book
which was constructed of Acknowledgments, Table of Contents, Chapters,
Afterword and Index or any obvious derivation thereof. Get real.
Guidebooks, by their nature, have a fairly limited format. You give the
information necessary to guide the reader through whatever. You can give
bare essentials or great detail. You can give a dry statement of facts or a
very personal reaction or anything in between. That's the format, but I
can't see how it could be copywritable, not that that would stop a lawyer
from trying.$$$$$$$
Saunterer