Re: [at-l] Well...

>From: kahley7 <kahley7@ptd.net>
>To: at-l@backcountry.net
>Subject: Re: [at-l] Well...
>Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 09:09:44 -0500
>

>I hate to disappoint you dear friend, but I for one would welcome a
>reasoned discursion
>of Dan.  He's been subject verboten here for a long time.  Tommykins , or
>was it Feelix
>likened him to the elephant in the living room....it gets hard to ignore
>after a while.
>
>When his fits of pique were limited to attacking Damascus for not honoring
>him as the
>originator of Trail Days or siccing (SP?) the FBI on people for that
>imaginary hacking of TP,
>it was pretty laughable.  But in recent months, he has been constantly
>attacking the ATC
>and ALDHA to an audience of who knows how many.  If you never drop in on
>the forums,
>you don't hear about it.  But thousands do and it has to have an effect on
>their attitudes
>about this Trail organizations.  And if this current thread is more than
>just bluff , bluster and
>another ploy for sympathy, it will cost us money!  Our dues will go to
>lawyers....not to trail
>related stuff.  Next year this time you may all be really grateful that I
>have finally stopped bugging
>you about contributing to the ALDHA defense fund.....perish the thought!
><g>
>
>Beyond the current legal threats, the thing that really frosts me, is his
>intentional division of the
>Trail community.  It's not like we don't have enough things that divide
>us...thru/section hikers,
>dogs/no dogs, poles/sticks.....now there is a growing breech over him.  He
>is a polarizing
>influence.  It's either TP or the ATC, the Avery Awards or the Thruhiker
>patch.  yada yada yada.
>This is what really worries me.  As Coosa pointed out, there are so damn
>few of us ...I hate to
>see whatever clout we can wield split to serve the aims of one man.  And as
>time goes on,
>a man that seems to be getting more and more unstable.
>Think about the Trail as Dan envisages it.  Avery monitors, quietly keeping
>watch as to who
>hikes where and when just in case someone decides to apply.  And since
>those monitors
>will be human, maybe they might decide to challenge an application of a
>hiker because he
>committed the sin of being spotted carrying a telemail.  This whole peer
>review thing gives me
>the willys.  Not because I would ever apply, but because there will be
>people out there who
>will be taking notice of my hike, just in case I do.  Talk about an
>intrusion into my wilderness
>experience.....
> [...]

Kahley, if experience serves me well, I know that his (WF's) is a short and
tragic trip to sure self destruction, others of his kind, have followed the
same road before, (i.e. Sen. McCarthy, etc.), you can only beat your own
drum for so long before everyone can see that there is nothing of substance
behind all that noise.
His is just a temporary inconvinience, many, like me, will see soon enough
whom they are dealing with, and if they don't, then, they deserve Wingnuts.
Just a humble opinion. Orens