RE: [at-l] More threats and misinformation . . .

> I think we can survive better allowing him to do what he
> pleases with his business. I think our agitation over these messages
> confers far more power than is appropriate to this fellow hiker.

That may be true, but in the past several months I've seen several
references in Backpacker Magazine quoting Dan and the "Center For
Appalachian Trail Studies" on various issues. If the leading publication,
which is supposed to be in tune with the hiking community, is willing to
imply that this "Center" is a reality, how can we hope that a relative
newcomer to this community won't also be unduly swayed. This implied
endorsement of the "Center" gives Dan MUCH more influence than he should
have. I, for one, resent this. I'm sure Dan knows the result of using these
fake credentials, and that is why he does so. It undoubtedly opens many more
doors of influence for his opinion than he deserves.

It wouldn't be so bad if Dan would at least acknowledge that many of his
views are controversial, but he doesn't.

I agree, Dan's tactics are a threat, and I have voiced my concerns to
Backpacker about it, hopefully more of you will do the same each time
Backpacker gives Dan another pulpit to abuse.

Lyle