[at-l] Trip report (well, hike report)

Summer briefly visited Friday, which was a day off anyway for me. I
figured if I can get up at 5:30 for work I guess I could just pull out
the stop on the alarm and go hiking.

So I did.

Went to SNP, north section, got there about 7:00. Parked near Thompson
Hollow, hiked over to Overall Run, saw the lower falls (LOTS of water).
Down the Run and up Beecher Ridge, 500 + 1200' - first climb of the
year. Scared up one grouse (or rather, she scared me). They take off
like a line drive in an explosion of feathers. One tiny patch of snow
near Matthew's Arm campground. The down the Big Blue and over Matthew's
Arm trail - nice abandoned road. Two mile road walk outside the Park
down to my car. It got hot! - high 70's. One final 3 mile stretch at the
entrance to Jeremy's Run that I had always wanted to do - funny how easy
it is to park at a trailhead on a Friday in February. Couldn't ford the
Run, the water was too high , so I bushwhacked to where Knob Mountain
Trail came in. 14.4 miles for the day - and a sunburn! -  in February
yet!!

Wonder where the deer were, though?

- Gary from Fairfax

PS - just bought a new pair of boots with my REI refund discount.