[at-l] A shuttle report

Well, the best laid plans of mice and men - I didn't get to hike at ALL this
weekend.  However, did a lot of driving around the countryside aimlessly,
eventually ending up in Hot Springs about 3.  I was expecting a lister to
show up that night, and I was shuttling him to Sams Gap the next day.  Toney
and I pitched the tent down by the river, as far away from other campers as
we could.  The weather couldn't have been nicer.  Since we were camping, not
hiking, we had all the comforts of home :)  Even though it wasn't the same as
if we were hiking, I was happier and more relaxed than I have been in a long
time.  The fire, the river, the wood sounds at night (the train screaming
through occassionally) all lent themselves to a great sense of happiness and
well being.  I valiently tried to stay awake long enough to make sure the
lister found our campsite - but finally crashed around 10:30.  The wind was
rather ferocious, but my Walrus stood strong.  It was also a happy occassion
to awake to no condensation in my tent.  This was the first time I have used
the tent that Mom and I bought for our thru - I am quite happy with it,
although I think I like the "clips" as opposed to the "sleeves" - it is a bit
quicker setting up my old Eureka.  When I woke up the next morning, there was
a nice looking SUV parked next to my vehicle, so I assumed he found us. :)

So I'm sitting there, drinking my coffee, and the classic "tall, dark and
handsome" guy crawls out of the SUV.  I'm thinking, (shallowly, I agree),
"Gee, I should have left the soon to be ex at home." <vbg>  So anyway - we
commence to make breakfast (or Toney does - steak and eggs, yum :)) and the
lister pulls out his cell phone, commenting that he is surprised he couldn't
get service there.  I reminded him of where we were :)   Anyway . . . after a
slow starting morning, he pulled out his scanner to check the weather.  We
had a debate about the best way to get to Sams Gap from Hot Springs, so then
he plucked a GPS out of his pocket and started mumbling some things.  (At
this point I am beginning to wonder if the technology police could possibly
be far behind him, and felt that so blatantly displaying this stuff in Hot
Springs might not be such a good idea ;-)) After pointing out that my front
left tire was low on air, looking rather flat, he rummaged around in the SUV
and pulled out a small air compressor.  (No, he wasn't carrying THAT in his
pack :)) Flat tire fixed in no time.  He showed me some of his cool gear
(including titanium pots, by the way <vbg>) and we headed out of town.  We
got confused at one point on which direction to go, but the lister pulled out
his handy dandy GPS again, and it quickly confirmed that we weren't going in
the right direction.  We stopped for directions (and the women on the list
won't be surprised to know that *I* went in to ask, as neither Toney nor the
lister seemed inclined to do so <g>) and found we were on the right track.
Go figure.

So we dropped him at Sams Gap, where it was MUCH colder than it had been down
in the valley (how odd <g>).  I took a few pictures to document the start of
his trip (and the cell phone and GPS he was carrying for later blackmail
purposes <g>) and away we went.  Nice drive thru the country, taking our time
getting back to the "real" world.  So - can't call it a "trip report" - but
it was a nice interlude in the woods, and a pleasure to meet a lister I
hadn't met before.

The Redhead