Re: [at-l] sleeping bags

At 11:58 AM 2/27/00 -0500, Coosa wrote:
..clip..
>Also, too many of the big brandname sleeping bag companies cater to the car
>camping crowd who usually have a propane or kerosene heater in their tent,
>so a 21 oz fill 20 degree bag in a 50-60 degee heated tent works well.

That's another variable I forgot to mention, the conditions it's used
under. The same bag will be warmer in a tent than in a shelter because
there's less heat loss due to wind chill. The air in the tent becomes a
semi-dead air space (in other words, an insulation layer) outside the bag.
Air in an open shelter is more likely to be moving, therefore the air
immediately adjacent the bag is colder.

I believe (can't swear to it) that manufacturer's ratings are based on
sleeping in a tent rather than a shelter with one whole side open. If you
really want to lower a bag's ability to keep you warm, sleep in a net
hammock (which compresses the fill both under you and the sides) and do it
in a windy location. If you try that though, don't write nasty letters to
the bag manufacturer afterward about their temperature ratings.

Saunterer