Re: [at-l] Selfish. Yup.

At 11:26 PM 2/25/00 -0500, Tim Hewitt wrote:
>I wrote something in my last note that I want to expand
>on just a bit.
>
>I wrote "I was not out there for anyone else, I was out
>there for me" or some such thing.
>
>After I hit the Send button, it sounded a bit selfish and
>I have to say that my thru-hike was one of the most single-
>minded and selfish things I have ever done.

What's with the guilt around doing something that's important to you? It
doesn't matter that you may not understand yourself why it's important and
can't explain why you feel compelled to do it. What's important here is
that it was obviously important enough that you completed the hike. So...
when something is that important to you, who's selfish, you for wanting to
do it or someone who "loves" you but tries to keep you from doing it by
making you feel guilty.

>These people all made my hike possible with their selfless
>sacrifices to my selfish goals. I did not say they were smart,
>only that they loved me :).

If you really love someone you want them to have their dreams even if it
doesn't make life easy for you. It appears that your wife and family (and
employer?) really love you, care about your dreams and willingly arranged
things so you could have your dream. As for sacrifices for someone else's
goals - I suspect if they care that much about you you've made some
sacrifices along the way for their benefit. No need to feel guilty. Just
say "thank you".

Saunterer