Re: [at-l] Leatherman options (WAS more boring gear talk)

"W F Thorneloe, MD" wrote:

> I agree, but free was a good price. What do you use instead? I've thought
> about a small pair of pliers (like the potgrabbers NOLS uses) and carrying
> a small Swiss Army pen knife for the rare need to cut anything. Another
> choice would be a pair of hemostats, which have a variety of functions.

I found no need for any tools other than a small knife. I started
with a medium Swiss Army knife and a leatherman. I sent the Leatherman
home at Neals Gap, and sent the Swiss Army knife home in PA, where I
switched to the smallest Swiss Army knife with sissors. This one had
a "file" which I broke off, leaving only the one small blade, the scissors
(which I used as nail clippers), toothpick and tweezers. This knife
is really little more than a keychain bobble, and I attached it to my
equally small led squeeze flashlight.

I had a couple of gear failures on my trip but duct tape held them
fine until I got to town. The tools in town were always better at
fixing gear than anything I would have wanted to carry. I was not
out there to play McGuiver - I was walking to Maine!

My stove had no moving parts so I was never in fear of not being able
to cook a meal due to "technical issues" with a complex stove. There
was really nothing in my critical gear list that needed fixing while
I was on the trail that needed any sort of mechanical assistance.

Fun toys, and yes I'm a toy collector, nice knives, I collect them
as well with well over 150 in my colelction, but nothing that I
need on the trail.

-p

Paddler
http://paddler99.trailstories.com