Re: [at-l] Sleeping pads (was more boring gear talk)

Everyone is different, there is no doubt about that.
I saw people on the trail last year sleeping on both
the ground and shelter floors without any sort of pad
at all. I remember doing this when I was 10, but not
at 42!

My test at home was after 6 months of sleeping on a
pad every night, so it was not the typical "lay on it
at home" test that most weekenders do. I don't think
spending 4 uncomfortable nights on the pad would have
done me any good at all. I need the thicker pad for
my hips and shoulders. I don't need anything under my
feet though, so that worked out OK, weight wise.

Sleeping on the foam pad on my deck was a very close
approximation of sleeping in a shelter. I would not
have enjoyed carrying that pad on my thru-hike.

-Paddler

ps Just do you don't think I'm totally nuts, my kids
wanted to "sleep outside with Daddy" when I returned
from my hike. I had no desire to go very far, so we
went out back and slept under the stars - on the deck...

---
Paddler
AT '99
http://www.trailstories.com