Re: [at-l] Va. weekend hikes

"David J. Wilcox" wrote:

How much time will you have on friday evening?
Are you going to have a tent?

> Trip one
>
> Fri. Drive to Va. 630. Hike to Pickle Branch Shelter (1 mile wrong direction)
> Sat. Hike to Niday Shelter (9.9 miles)
> Sun. Hike to Sinking Creek Valley, Va. 42 (9.9), drive home

There is a nice campsite on the south side of the road on VA 620. (Trout Creek).
If that is where you are let out, you could stay there. (Pickle Branch is a LONG
.5 off the trail. That adds 3.0 miles overall) The campsite is right on the road,
but wasn't a problem for us.

> Trip two
>
> Fri.  Drive to Va. 42, hike to Laurel Creek Shelter (2.4 miles)
> Sat. Hike to Campsites, spring (9.2 miles)
> Sun. Hike to Va. 635, Stony Creek Valley (8.7 miles), drive home

The 2.4 to Laurel Creek is a nice walk. Be careful in the privy (right
Snail-no-more?) I don't remember the campsites south of War Spur. I'm guessing
they are on top of the ridge. I'd probably carry water up from the last reliable
source. Especially if you are there in the summer. (Unless someone else knows of
the reliability of the spring and the ease of finding it.)

> Trip three
>
> Fri. Drive to Va. 635, hike to Pine Swamp Branch Shelter (0.3 miles)
> Sat. Hike to Rice Field Shelter (12.6 miles)
> Sun. Hike to Va. 634 (far side of Pearisburg, 7.3 miles), drive home

You could move about 2.0 from the end of trip two to the beginning of trip three,
if you wanted. I believe there is parking where the Trail crosses the road the
first time (for southbounders). That would shorten the Sunday hike out a bit.
Plus, make the hike on the Trip 3 Friday longer than .3  Rice Field is a very
nice shelter. Too bad the water source is a spigot on the back of the hostel in
Pearisburg   :-)

I have a friend that shuttles in this area. If you need his number, let me know.
Tell him Felix sent ya.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98