[at-l] Va. weekend hikes

Hi folks,

Realizing that I'm not going to get a longer hike in this year, I'm
putting together a series of weekend hikes to nibble on some of SW Va.
this summer. Since I'm in the Newport News, Va. area, the commute is a bit
bad (around 5 hours from Catawba). I've planned all the three-day weekends
essentially the same way. Drive to the trail, set up the shuttle, and hike
in to a shelter (or campsite) on Friday. Get miles in on Saturday. Hike
less miles on Sunday to get back to the cars with time to drive home.
Anyway, I'd greatly appreciate any advise on parking and campsites. I
really wanted to hike the section from Crandon (Va. 608) to Pickle Branch
(Va. 620), but I haven't been able to work out the Pearsiburg to Crandon
section. Here's what I have thus far:

Trip one

Fri. Drive to Va. 630. Hike to Pickle Branch Shelter (1 mile wrong direction)
Sat. Hike to Niday Shelter (9.9 miles)
Sun. Hike to Sinking Creek Valley, Va. 42 (9.9), drive home

Trip two

Fri.  Drive to Va. 42, hike to Laurel Creek Shelter (2.4 miles)
Sat. Hike to Campsites, spring (9.2 miles)
Sun. Hike to Va. 635, Stony Creek Valley (8.7 miles), drive home

Trip three

Fri. Drive to Va. 635, hike to Pine Swamp Branch Shelter (0.3 miles)
Sat. Hike to Rice Field Shelter (12.6 miles)
Sun. Hike to Va. 634 (far side of Pearisburg, 7.3 miles), drive home

                        Thanks,
                                - Dave (ODATC, ATC)

--
David J. Wilcox (dwilcox@vims.edu)      (804) 684-7088
GIS Programmer/Analyst                  Virginia Institute of Marine Science