Re: [at-l] more boring gear talk

"W F Thorneloe, MD" <thornel@attglobal.net> wrote:

> I'd scratch off the Thermarest, and go closed cell Z-rest or Ridgerest.
> These are much lighter and cheaper, and just as comfortable and warm as a
> Thermarest. Plus, a ZRest can be the foundation for an ultralight backpack.

I disagree with this completely. There is absolutely nothing as
comfortable as a thermarest - well not at the weight anyway. I
carried a 3/4 length deluxe and slept like a baby. I tried my
ridgerest at home afterward and confirmed why I carried the
heavier thermarest.

It was my one big weight concession and I'm very glad I carried it.
Sleep was very important for me.

-p
--
Paddler