amazing cooking pot weights was Re: Re: [at-l] more boring gear talk

I was shocked when I weighed my 20 year old aluminum "British (Bulldog) Billies" and found them to be with an ounce of comparable sized "Ti" offerings which the gear weenie in me so wanted to buy. I went to the store and checked out current cookwear offerings, and sure enough, these stainless steel coated behemoths weigh a TON. Did a little research on Ti: to make a long story short, most commercial uses of "Ti" are in fact Ti/Al alloys; some of the alloys are in fact mostly aluminum; some of the gauge metal being worked (currently) is actually thicker than older pots and/or cheaper pots (so the product you're buying may actually weigh *more* than the item it is replacing!!) My unfortunate conclusion is that, like Lexan, Ti products should be assumed to be heavier than older/less expensive offerings. Like backpacks......weigh your old stuff, or the Wally-world set, before you shortchange yourself.

>>> <DaRedhead@aol.com> 02/24/00 02:13PM >>>
Is it really that little of a difference?  A friend of mine has the titanium
pot, while I had the stainless steel one, same size . . . there sure FELT
like a lot more weight difference than that.  if I could get a
deal on the titanium pot/s, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

The Redhead