Re: [at-l] killing mice

Robert L Dudley wrote:

> While I do not like the thoughts of having pets on the trail I make my
> humble suggestion.  Carry a ferret.  They love mice!!!  Felix might be
> able to add mor to this thread.
> Grey Owl

When I look, lovingly, into the eyes of a ferret, the last thing on my
mind is 'a pet'. Anyone who ever truly loved a ferret, the way a ferret
deserves to be loved, knows that they are far more than an animal around
for occasional companionship. No, a ferret is a family member. Deep in the
eye of a compassionate ferret is something that only Zen masters and
ferret lovers can see, or experience. Sure, they have razor sharp teeth
(that can actually add a bit of excitement if used correctly), and sharp
claws. Sure their breath wreaks of carrion and Perrier. But, to me, they
are a part of life. I started hiking with two ferrets and ended up with as
many as 53 (I think. Roll call was a bitch) I saw three mice on the entire
hike. (I am now reminded of the time we got arrested at Dot's playing
"Ferret Tag" Here is an excerpt:

Thats when I went to the truck and got my ferret. I learned a long time
ago that you can have one hell of a good time with a stopwatch, a young
ferret, some dental floss and a ping-pong ball. So I was explaining the
game to everyone when up runs Sleeper94 and says "Come quick, there's
trouble at Dot's" So I put the ferret in my pants (which is where it goes
in the game) and we all hightail it over to Dot's. Seems Mrs. Felix was
trying to order breakfast at 9:00 in the morning. Dot tried to
explain that they don't serve no breakfast at 9:00 in the morning. This
didn't set well with Mrs. F. Chairs were flying, glass was breaking and
blood
was flowing.

We were trying to seperate the frakus when in walks an officer of the
law. He asked what the problem was and everyone tried to explain at
once. Finally, he said "Dot, I've wanted to shut your brothel down for
years, but had no grounds. If you ain't servin breakfast at 9:00 in the
morning, I got no choice but..." Thats when he stopped and looked in the
direction of my pants. "Son, whats going on in your pants?" "Same thing
thats going on in yours, Sir"  Right about then, the ferret caught the
ping-pong
ball. That wasn't a good thing. "I think you all best come with me."

So, I sez to Lulu, I sez...
--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98