RE: [at-l] killing mice & sleeping

> So Saith John O:

> Last summer I spoke with one hiker who caught 2 mice at once
> with 1 trap.
> The only double header I've heard about.
> Being a really sounder sleeper I would notice the  mice
> droppings in the
> morning on my ground cloth but never were bothered by them.
> Let me correct
> that.  After the first week on the trail I was a really sound
> sleeper.  The
> first week I was a VERY LIGHT SLEEPER.  Hearing a acorn drop
> on shelter
> metal roof would get my attention big time.
> John O

Interesting you should mention things dropping on the roof. Last winter we
spent a night at the Dripping Springs Shelter in GSMNP. There is a large
Buckeye tree at one rear corner of the shelter. Besides having to deal with
the mice (have you ever seen one hiker shrug in his sleep, thereby flipping
the mouse that was disturbing him through the air to land upon some other
poor sleeping Hiker?) but we also had to deal with a torrential rain storm
pounding on the tin roof, and buckeyes, LOTS of buckeyes, falling on the
roof and then rattling down the roof and off it in the rain. I don't think
any of the five people in the shelter slept a wink.

Lee I Joe