Re: [at-l] Hiking Plans

So, what are your hiking plans????

>Grey Owl

Thanks for a great topic, Grey Owl.  My hiking plans this year are in the
formative stages.

I wanted to set myself a new goal this year because last year, when I
decided to learn to hike and backpack, having a goal of being able to do at
least *some* days on the AT kept me so motivated I walked and hiked enough
that when I got there I could really do it.  ;-)  I have been thinking
since Christmas about what my goal for the year should be and now I have
several.

First, my this year's goal turned out to be my HATT section - a challenge
for me at a 12 mile per day pace.  This means I will have to *train*
between now and labor day to get ready. :-D

When your email chimed in, I was making a spreadsheet training log to start
keeping track of my training miles.  So... my SECOND goal is to log 500
training miles between now and September.  Not a high goal, really - but I
picked 500 because that was what Ray Jardine suggested as training mileage
for a thruhike type hike.  I figured if it would do for a thruhike it could
get me up to a few 12 mile days.  And I plan to increase the distance and
packweight and trail difficulty as I go.

My THIRD goal is to get out of town and head for the mountains (or hiking
equivalent) at least once a month, preferably for an overnight or such.
This part is a real challenge for me because I have other goals (like
paying off debts) and sometimes limit my spending money to things like
eating.  But, each to his and her own, and I'm sure that if I give it an
honest shot I will at least hike, backpack and camp more than I would have
if I hadn't set goals and worked to make them happen.

Near the end of the new Jardine book he talks about turning dreams into
goals and making them happen.  That really struck a chord with me and I am
very much enjoying being able to do things I never could do before, and
having enough sense to *live my dreams.*  I can imagine how easy it would
be to let life pass me by without having done any of these things I really
want to do.

May that not happen to any of us...

See you on the trail, and thanks again for bringing it up!

Delita

Delita Wright
Future AT Thru-hiker,
Chapel Hill, NC, USA