Re: [at-l] Killing mice (diagram included)

Well, the trouble with the traumatic method of killing mice, although
hamsters and gerbils are better tasting, and provide more calories per
unit of effort, is that if you squish'em, smash'em, shoot'em, etc. you
end up getting the meat contaminated with intestinal contents, and yes,
I know some of you "purists" out there say that a little "natural
seasoning" adds a tangy, piquant subtlety to the meal, but really, why
even filter your H20 if you're going to marinate your mouse-morsels in a
bacterial stew. The easiest, least messy, and most "mouse-friendly"
method of deceasing your dinner is to use a live trap. The Hav-a-Hart
co. sells little ones that weigh just over a pound and one may usually
find a dozen or so "furry fritters" trapped by morning. Suffocation is
the preferred method of dispatch, but when lacking a plastic bag, I have
found that placing my highly reflective windscreen around the trap, then
getting down at eye level with the mice so that my reflection is bounced
all around, usually scares them to death in short order. The only part
worth skinning, of course, are the large muscles of the rear legs, so
when you're done with the prep work, you'll have a bunch of tiny little
legs, and now the difficult part begins, for the meat must be deboned,
lest one of your dinner guests should choke on a tiny bone; the tweezers
in a Swiss Army knife are perfect for holding the end of the leg bone
whilst a single edge razor-blade greatly speeds the filleting of the
meat. Then into the basket of my little pressure cooker they go...and
voila!, mouse-pate' in about four minutes!
Tastes like chicken. And be sure and use a separate mini-expresso maker
for your coffee, especially if you have guests.

Al