Re: [at-l] How to kill mice

Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:48:47 -0600 Phil Heffington <phil.heffington@oc.edu>
wrote:

SNIP
>                                      A general rule is to never
>keep anyone up past 9:00 with such antics unless it is with the general
>approval of all watchers.

This brings back a memory.

Once I was in a shelter with one other hiker, who was doing the second half
of a thru that had been interrupted the previous year by an injury.

He never mentioned trapping mice.

I had just dozed off when the first trap went off across the shelter.  He
had three traps set around the head of his bag about a arm's length away.
He trapped all night.  He would flip on his light, remove the mouse, toss it
out the front of the shelter, reset the trap and go back to sleep.  He
caught quite a few during the course of the night.

The next morning, he told me that every since he woke up one moon-lit night
looking into the beady eyes of two mice picking food out of his beard, he
could not sleep w/o the traps.  Claimed it didn't bother his rest.

I didn't think to ask at the time, but I have reservations about what he
does when he is in a full shelter.  I also have reservations about not
hurting his rest.

Any how, the number he caught, plus my lack of sleep, increased my resolve
to tent more often.

Chainsaw