Re: [at-l] Help with Itinerary/Resupply

At 05:14 PM 2/21/00 EST, RezFactor@aol.com wrote:

>I'm having trouble trying to figure out if I should plan out my entire
>schedule for RESUPPLY POINTS (groceries, etc.) and MAILDROPS. Should I
simply
>schedule my maildrop points and just use the Databook and Companion to
>determine where and when I can get groceries along the way? I don't want to
>take away from adventure by being anal and figuring out my entire hike
>beforehand, but also, wouldn't this help me figure out where I'll need
>food/maildrops, etc. so as to keep myself supplied?
>What have y'all done? HELP, PLEASE! -Rez
>* From the AT-L |  Need help? http://www.backcountry.net/faq.html  *

Don't worry about being anal.  I went ahead and took my best guess at
average mileages and plugged it into a spreadsheet.  Like all spreadsheets,
it gives the impression of great preciseness--but you know and I know that
it is an ESTIMATE ONLY, for planning purposes.  It only gets anal if you
stress yourself out trying to stick exactly to the schedule.  My mileage
estimates are intentionally optimistic, the theory being that I would
rather have mail arrive a little too early than a little too late.

I just scheduled maildrops, and will let the fresh groceries take care of
themselves.  Actually, I think the way to keep pack weight at a minimum is
to leapfrog maildrops and fresh groceries resupplies, so that you are never
carrying a full load of both at the same time.

r.